Sarah. Fashion. 100% of the time.

Welcome everyone! I'm Sarah, and I love fashion and writing, so I've combined the two here. Feel free to comment and follow!!! xo

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Pockets and Paillettes

Right now, I'm loving paillettes and sequins--really anything that shines and sparkles. What goes well with sequins and paillettes? Pockets!

A perfect example of a gorgeous and glamorous pocket is Gwyneth Paltrow's Prada dress from the 2012 met Gala.


For those of us who don't have an occasion (or the money) for such a dress, an embellished pocket on a t-shirt or tank top, like these, will do just fine.




That's where I got the inspiration for my latest DIY project. My blue and white polka dot tank needed something, but I could never put my finger on exactly what. After rummaging through my supplies, I stumbled upon gold rectangular paillettes and I just couldn't say "no." This tutorial will show you how to turn your tired old top into this:

So, first, I gathered my materials: the shirt, my paillettes, a needle, and thread. My paillettes are from M&J Trimming. They have a wonderful selection and are by far my favorite craft store.

Before sewing, I laid out the paillettes to make sure that I liked the way they looked.
Then, I started sewing my paillettes to the pocket, making sure I didn't sew the pocket shut. If you don't know how to sew on paillettes, here's a great tutorial.
And I kept sewing...
...until, finally, the paillettes reached the other side of the pocket. When I was done, I knotted the back and snipped off the excess thread.


And there you have it: an easy way to spruce up an old tank top. Hope you enjoyed and, if you have any questions, comments, or ideas, please comment below!

xo
Sarah









No comments:

Post a Comment